Sundance featuring Mom & Dad

The worms aren't the only inhabitants of the basement and I again have my husband to thank for his understanding and patience.  It all started 2 years ago when we finally got tickets to a couple Sundance movies and participated in the madness that consumes Park City every January.  Although we've lived here 9 years, we had only roamed Main Street a few times in the past to witness the chaos.  One outing that was memorable involved walking behind 2 tall men and finally realizing that the crowd behind us was growing.  We overheard that we were following an actor from the WB, and I still can't remember his name.  We aren't against the festival, we just don't know many people in the movie industry and we would rather avoid the crowds.  We had no idea that actually going to the movies and standing in line provided fantastic people-watching and the discussions afterward were priceless.  In addition, the logistics were impressive and as I watched the volunteers, realized that my parents would fit right in.  I called them that week and suggested they think about volunteering the following year.  Little did I know they would jump in with both feet.
2011 Volunteer Vest

In their inaugural year, they worked together at the same theater but got the late night shift which ended around 2am.  Dad did accounting and Mom took tickets.  Everything from training, getting into movies, to calling in sick was an unknown and they spent their free time reading all the volunteers emails and gearing up for each day.  They had maybe bitten off more than they should have, but they did a great job and got to see several movies and celebrities as they immersed themselves into the Sundance experience.
2012 Volunteer Coat

This year, I was actually surprised when they said they were coming back.  As returning volunteers, they were able to "negotiate" more reasonable conditions.  They secured spots at the closest theater to our house and are working together as an accounting team.  They also have a better shift and should be home before midnight each night.  For several weeks, they've been super excited about their Sundance trip and we even did a walk-thru when they visited in December going to the theater and scouting out parking and restaurants.

Last Sunday they pulled into the driveway and Sundance 2012 was officially on.  They drove a smaller car this year so we can park it under the porch and still get to both cars in the garage.  This may seem like a minor detail, but when we do get snow, the less car shuffling the better.  We are also better prepared this year and made sure there was storage space in the bedroom closet, bathroom, and pantry.  We are a week in and to quote my grandma from a recent letter about my parents visit over xmas ... "there have been no arguments or bad feelings that I know of".
Food Supply
Working from home, I've been able to spend some time with them between training sessions and movies. Just a few of our accomplishments in the last 6 days:

  • Scrabble Games with Mom = 7
  • Lunch Date in Park City = 1
  • Extra shoveling/snowblowing sessions to avoid driveway pack-down = 3
  • Emergency snowblower gas station run with Dad = 1
  • Sundance Movies = 4 
  • Nights we went to bed at 9 and they came home at midnight = 4

Similar to last year, Terry has barely seen my parents but not on purpose (I think). He traveled for work a few days during the week and is gone again next week.  To add to the fun, on Thursday night, our friend Rob stayed with us on his way from Boise to Palm Springs.  Sharon is there for work and he is going to spend a week cycling in the sun.  This required some car parking choreography on a very icy driveway and an extra pot of coffee in the morning, but it was great to visit and we are all looking forward to seeing him again next week on his way home.
Beverage Supply in the Basement Bedroom
Tonight as we hang out in our pjs, my parents are working their first official shift for 2012 and I'm a little anxious.  Does this mean we've hit the age where we've flipped roles?  They are living in my basement and I'm at home waiting for them to call if something happens.  I know they will both excel and impress their new boss (the ex-military lady).  I'll wake up in the morning and look out the window to make sure they made it home and then hang tight until they wake up so I can get an update.  Better than the newspaper or local TV report, I'll hear about who they saw, what they learned, and how much they love being Sundance Volunteers.  I hope next week goes as well as the past week, but whatever happens I'm proud of my parents and I'm sure Bob is too.

Comments